Historic Cinclare Plantation

Marker Name

Historic Cinclare Plantation

Marker Dedicated

April 23, 1998

Marker Sponsor

The Laws Corporation

Marker Location

The marker is in front of Cinclare Plantation; Highway 1 and Terrill Road; North Brusly, LA 70719


View images of the Historical Cinclare Plantation.

Marker Text

Formerly Marengo Plantation, Cinclare was purchased by James H. Laws in 1878. With its own currency, work animals, plantation store, staff housing, and railroad, it was a self-sufficient sugar mill “company town”.


Cinclare Plantation is located north of the town of Brusly. Once a thriving company town, Cinclare is currently the last remaining producing sugar mill in West Baton Rouge Parish. The entire sugar mill complex was placed on The National Register of Historic Places on April 23, 1998, for its significance in industry and agriculture. It is a historic district, which consists of 46 buildings and 2 structures. The complex has a “big house”, sugar mill, many housing structures ranging in dates from circa 1855 to circa 1945, and a one-of-a-kind mule barn.


Read the following texts to familiarize yourself with the Cinclare Planation:

  • Along the River Road by Mary Ann Sternberg, pages 202, 203 through 204, 207
  • Chronicles of West Baton Rouge by Elizabeth Kellough and Leona Mayeux, 1979, pages 21 through 22
  • National Register of Historic Places nomination (Cinclare Sugar Mill Historic District)
  • Reference files at the West Baton Rouge Museum and Library
  • State Historic marker files at the West Baton Rouge Museum
  • Brusly 1901 – 2001 A Place to Call Home; by Pamela Folse, Editor